Monday, August 17, 2009

The Pro Series: Clint Wiley


There is nothing like a great band at a wedding. Music is one of those crucial decisions in your wedding planning quite frankly because it has the greatest impact on the celebration portion of your wedding day, and that is most likely half of the time your guests will be spending with you. This band you're about to read about is not your typical wedding band because they play the most current music on top of the standards;
"Oh you want to hear Rihanna & Maroon 5? Sure we can do that. Michael Jackson too? Got it. The Cure? Will do. Your mom wants to here Sweet Caroline? Consider it done."

With that said, let me introduce you to one band that has kept dance floors packed at my clients weddings for years now.

What are your company and profession?
Clint Wiley Entertainment. I am the owner as well as singer, guitarist, emcee and DJ.

What’s your name? Should I know anyone else from your company? Clint Wiley. My six piece band consists Lyli, Dom, Chris, Quinn, and Billy. I have other band members for horn sections, percussion, and dancers if desired.

Where do you do weddings?
I offer my services internationally, but a majority of my shows are in the state of Florida. I own a 15 passenger van and 20 foot trailer, so getting to most locations is easy.


Website Link
www.clintwiley.com

How long have you been in business?
The band was formed ten years ago when we were VERY young:) We did our first wedding in 2001. I have been averaging at least one wedding a week for about three years.

Why weddings?
I really like to be a part of 'big' things. I have pacticed my skills for decades, and the opportuinity to use my gifts to make someone's special day the best it can be is very fulfilling. I think weddings should always be about 'the best' of everything, and I find that challenge exciting.

What your clients most often commend you on?
The top comment heard from clients is that I went far above their expectations. Their guests usually say we are the best wedding band they have ever heard. I don't say that to sound cocky, but it is the most common and rewarding comment I hear.

Best piece of advice for brides & grooms?
Do lots of research before picking a band. Make sure the band actually plays the styles you want. Make sure the band has sound/movie clips of what they can do. Some bands will say they can play a style just to land the job. For weddings, I believe the selection should be diverse. Bands that focus on one style or a couple decades can be fun for a while, but it can get tiring over an entire night. Playing music from all decades will involve everyone. 80's songs seems to go over really well with all ages, and adding some modern hits makes the younger crowd happy. Also make sure bands have a good sound system and lighting package. Once you find the band you like, give them a little direction, but let them do what they do best. I've seen some brides empty a dance floor by picking a song list that doesn't work well.

What is one thing that makes working with new clients easier?
Having the client know what they want at least a month before the wedding date. Last minute changes can be frustrating at times. Also, seating the older guests away from the band is ALWAYS a great idea. Otherwise, the older guests wants the music low, and the other guests cannot enjoy the dance music.

What is the craziest request you’ve ever received? Or
What is the craziest thing you saw happen at a wedding?

The craziest thing I saw happen were a group of grown men acting like chickens(sounds and all) in front of the stage because I would not play the Chicken Dance. The bride was very adamant about not hearing that song, or anything cheesy. Evidently the men were cousins who had harassed her since she was a kid, and her wedding day would, evidently, be no exception.

What is something you hope to do in the near future?
I constantly work to improve my show, and part that consists of new staging and lighting. I now own a full intelligent light show with a professional truss and lasers. I hope to be able to use them at a wedding in the near future.


Previous Pro Series Interviews: Kelly McWilliams (Weddings by Socialites), Sue Bain (Signature Florals).
Next up: Michael Schuhmann (Photography by Michael)
Want to be interviewed? Send an email to WeddingTidbits{at}gmail.com

101 Destination Wedding Planning Tips

From the editors of Destination Weddings & Honeymoons